They said one way to keep people happy and satisfied is by through their stomach. To some people, food is more than just food; it brings people together and warms up the mood. Beef vegetable soup is some of the kinds of cuisine that fits the bill since it has something for everyone.
Beef vegetable food is quite delicious, easy to serve, and arguably enjoyable for everyone. For vegetarians, they can simply eat the vegetables, while those who are meat lovers will simply enjoy the tenderness of the beef. Granted, the best way to enjoy this soup is to have both beef and vegetables.
And so, here we are going to provide you with the ingredients that are commonly required to make the best vegetable soup that everyone will absolutely adore and how to cook it. Usually, this food can be served up to six servings.
If you intend to cook for more than six people, make sure you have more of these ingredients so you can cook up larger servings for more people.
Ingredients of Beef Vegetable Soup
1. Olive oil, around 1 tablespoon
2. One pound of beef stew, best to be cut into cubes, 1 inch size
3. One large onion, chopped
4. Three cloves of garlic, best are minced
5. ¾ of diced carrots
6. ¾ of diced celery
7. Have 3-4 potatoes, preferably peeled and cube-shaped (for this one you can just actually cut into anything as you wish)
8. Canned tomatoes (one can is usually enough, or alternatively, you can use one or two fresh tomatoes and slice it into whatever you feel like it)
9. One tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
10. A small cup of beef broth (optional)
11. 2,5 liters of water
12. Salt and pepper
Additionally, another option you can use into your beef vegetable soup (although it is quite uncommon) is to add some green beans or corns. While the traditional soup does not use them, it can enrich the food and seriously adds the beauty and flavor of it.
Procedure to Cook Beef Vegetable Soup
And after you have prepared the required ingredients to make your beef vegetable soup, the next step, obviously, is to start cooking them. Usually, this kind of dish is slow cooked to get the best result. It should not take too long.
- First thing first, boil the 2.5 liters of water that you have prepared and put the beef into it. This is done to ensure that the beef will be tender enough to be served in the soup. Boil the beef until it feels just right. Afterward, separate the boiled beef from the vegetables first.
- The second step is to sauté all the other ingredients, which includes tomatoes, onions, carrots, potatoes, and celery. Then, pour some water and olive oil to further smoothen them up. Keep in mind not to overcook them or they are too fried and too soft to be eaten, however.
The trick is to sauté them until their colors are slightly darker, nearly brown colored, but not necessarily roasted.
- Stir all the ingredients together, then put all of them into the water, then boil them all. This already includes the beef that was previously boiled.
- Pour the beef broth into the cooking. This is actually optional and you are free to add them or not. It is used to heighten the taste and scent of the beef in the soup while giving that meaty flavor to the overall soup.
- Put the rest of the ingredients all into the same bowl while it is boiling.
- Put some of them into a bowl or large plate and the soup is ready to serve.
Basically, as explained by the steps above, cooking beef vegetable soup is actually pretty simple. Yet, there can be a few mistakes that can go unnoticed during preparation, mostly while preparing the ingredients. While doing so, there are some things that need to be worth mentioning.
Points to Note
1. Using meat cuts that are not fresh
To cook the best, delicious, and rich beef vegetable soup, it’s absolutely better to use high-quality fresh meat. It’s possible, try to use the meat parts with a minimum amount of fat so that the gravy will not be too creamy and oily.
If you want to make the gravy tastes even more delicious, adding some pieces of fresh beef bone will not hurt.
2. Put raw beef cuts immediately
Do not immediately cook the beef together into the gravy along with the vegetables and other ingredients. They are meant to be cooked separately. If immediately cooked or boiled together, this will only mess up the flavor.
3. Adding too many potatoes
Potatoes are some of the components that go along well for beef vegetable soup, true, but adding too many of them will make the gravy for the soup become thicker and creamier. This texture will not taste well upon being eaten, however.
4. Adds too few seasoning
Do not be afraid about adding some sugar, pepper, and some salt to ensure you get the flavor that you desire, and certainly, you need to keep taste test it to make sure the soup tastes just right.
5. Cooking the soup too long
While it makes the broth flavor tastes richer, prolonged cooking can make the soup components—the beef and the vegetables—to be overly tender and soft. It may also diminish the nutritional value contained within the soup.
Ideally, the duration of slow cooking beef vegetable soup is around 2-3 hours, although some people are known to take only around 45 minutes to cook it.
And these are few things that you need to prepare and do when planning to cook for a beef vegetable soup. It is easy, and not as complex as it sounds. The warmth of this kind of dish will make people crave for more and bring joy to their hearts. It is even better if it is eaten during cold weather.
While it is perfectly fine to be consumed on your own. It is much more enjoyable to share it with your friends and family. Beef vegetable soup can also be a good choice as food for the celebration. To be bluntly put, this food goes well and can be served on any occasion.